How To Rent An Apartment In Westfield
Are you getting ready to secure your first apartment? Or maybe it’s been quite some time since you leased one, and now you’re going through the steps again. Here’s what you should to know about how to rent an apartment in Westfield, from determining how much you can spend to finding the ideal apartment and filling out the application.
How Much Can You Afford?
Your opening task is to determine what you can pay. You don’t want to fall in love with a place only to realize it’s completely outside your range. Examine your finances prior to checking out that terrific two-bedroom with a nature view. Here are some tips to help you.
- Look at your net income - the amount you have after taxes - and take away your existing expenses (loan payments, credit cards, etc.).
- Factor in unexpected charges like auto repairs and urgent care appointments. As a general rule, add 10 percent to your current bill amount.
- Estimate costs at your new apartment, such as utilities and groceries. If you need a place to start, go with $250 per month for each one.
- How frequently do you dine out? Estimate your expected monthly entertainment and dining budget.
- What do you have left? This is what you may put toward rent. Now is the time to decide if you should consider a roommate.
Selecting Your Apartment In Westfield
Investigating different properties and floor plans can be exciting but also demanding of your time. Make certain you provide yourself plenty of time to explore - at least two or three months. Your initial step is to figure out the general area. Do you prefer being close to your job or school? Are you trying to find something in the city center or in the suburbs? Is there shopping and entertainment in close proximity? Knowing the location will greatly benefit you.
You likely have a clear idea of the number of bedrooms you’ll require, so you may direct your attention on finding your favorite floor plan. Next, you should think about what amenities are must-haves. Is a health club or swimming pool mandatory? Do you require a community open to animals? Answering these kinds of questions will narrow down the possibilities.
What To Expect In The Application Process
After you’ve picked out an apartment, you need to conclude the application process. You’ll need to come prepared with a photo ID, proof of income, and references. You’ll typically be charged an application fee to cover credit and background checks. If you plan on using a co-signer, ask about them at the beginning, as they might not be permitted.
The application process will generally consist of the following:
- Pay an application fee
- Submit an application form
- Anticipate credit and background checks
- Sign the agreement
When completing the application, you can plan to show the information below:
- Name, phone number, email, and present address
- Your employer and income
- Past address(es)
- Dogs or other pets (if applicable)
- Who to call in case of emergency
- References - you might be asked for former landlords or personal and professional references
Find The Right Apartment At Harmony Apartment Homes
Renting an apartment in Westfield is simple at Harmony Apartment Homes. We have a wide range of floor plans and amenities to match your lifestyle. Request a tour to explore our community or dial 317-795-0224 to speak with one of our skilled leasing agents about how to rent one of our apartments in Westfield.